"Appomattox County Jail (1870) Background Bocock-Isbell House (1850)" by U.S. National Park Service , public domain
BrochureAppomattox Court House |
Official Brochure of Appomattox Court House National Historical Park (NHP) in Virginia. Published by the National Park Service (NPS).
featured in
| National Parks Pocket Maps | ![]() | |
| Virginia Pocket Maps | ![]() |
Appomattox Court House
Appomattox Court House
National Historical Park
Virginia
National Park Service
U.S. Department of the Interior
4
1
5
3
2
6
7
8
ALL IMAGES—NPS UNLESS OTHERWISE CREDITED
The Surrender Site … Then and Now
Today the National Park Service invites
you to walk the country lanes where
these events took place. In the park’s
quiet, still places, imagine the activity of
those days in April 1865.
Use the map and guide on the reverse as
you tour the park. Vignettes on this side
of the brochure tell some of the stories
of Appomattox Court House and its place
in our nation’s history.
Yesterday and Today
Ulysses S. Grant (far
left) and Robert E. Lee
(near left) skillfully led
their troops against
each other in the last
year of the Civil War.
Grant knew how to
exploit an opponent’s
weaknesses. Lee,
known for an aggressive style, excelled at
assessing the enemy’s
capabilities.
BOTH LIBRARY OF CONGRESS
Here on April 9, 1865, Robert E. Lee, commanding general of the Army of Northern
Virginia, surrendered his men to Ulysses
S. Grant, general-in-chief of all United
States forces. Other Confederate armies
remained in the field, but Lee’s surrender
signaled the end of the Southern states’
attempt to create a separate nation.
Three days later the men of the Army of
Northern Virginia marched before the
Union Army. They turned over their flags,
stacked their weapons, and began the
journey back to their homes.
Grant and Lee
1
2
4
5
6
Compare the picture
of the village today
(above) with the picture
at left taken in 1889.
Both show the village
from the west, though
the older one is farther
away. The numbers are
on the same buildings
in both pictures. The
building at the far left
in the older photograph
is the Union Academy
Dwelling House, which
no longer exists.
1 Tavern Kitchen
The McLeans
End of the War
During the war Wil
mer McLean and his
family left their home
in Manassas, Virginia,
for business purposes.
A sugar speculator, he
bought the property
at Appomattox Court
House in the fall of
1862 to be near the
railroad. Lee used the
parlor of their home
(left) when he surrendered to Grant.
Begin your tour at the
park visitor center in
the reconstructed
courthouse, which
includes an information desk, museum,
and auditorium where
a film is shown. Park
programs illustrate
the impact of the Civil
War on daily life in the
village of Appomattox
Court House.
Accessibility
We strive to make
facilities, services, and
programs accessible to
all; call or check the
park website.
The Paroles
NPS / KEITH ROCCO
Appomattox Court
House National
Historical Park is 92
miles west of Richmond and 18 miles
east of Lynchburg, on
VA 24. It is three miles
northeast of the town
of Appomattox. You’ll
find accommodations,
restaurants, and stores
located there.
© RON RITTENHOUSE COLLECTION
The Park
Black Contributions
Black Americans
served in both armies.
Grant’s armies had
seven Black regiments,
about 5,000 United
States Colored Troops,
including Cpl. John
Peck (above), who
LIBRARY OF CONGRESS
The Village
Appomattox Court
House developed from
the small settlement
of Clover Hill, a stop
along the RichmondLynchburg Stage Road.
Clover Hill’s few houses
clustered around a
tavern. When the
county of Appomattox
formed in 1845, Clover
Hill became the county
seat and was renamed
Appomattox Court
House. Its courthouse,
built in 1846, spurred
the construction of
participated in the
Battle of Appomattox
Court House. In Lee’s
army, enslaved and
free men worked as
cooks, musicians,
teamsters, and personal servants. Thirtynine received paroles.
homes, stores, and
lawyers’ offices.
Among the many
structures that survive
from the 1800s are
the Clover Hill Tavern
(left, in 1865), Meeks
Store, Woodson Law
Office, Peers House,
Mariah Wright House,
and Kelley House.
Surrender Terms
When Grant and Lee
sat down in the parlor
of Wilmer McLean’s
home, Grant asked
only that the Confederates pledge not to
take up arms against
the United States.
Grant allowed Confederate officers to keep
their sidearms and any
man who owned a
horse to take it home
with him. The generous terms of surrender
began the process of
reunification.
Lt. Col. Charles Marshall of Lee’s staff and
Lt. Col. Ely S. Parker of
Grant’s prepared the
official surrender
documents. Both men
appear at the far left
in the painting of the
surrender (above).
Capt. Robert Todd Lincoln, son of President
Abraham Lincoln and
a junior member of
Grant’s military team,
stands directly behind
his general.
The County
The rural, agricultural
county had 8,900
residents (54 percent
Black, most of them
enslaved) at the time
of the Civil War.
Appomattox Court
House, the county’s
only town, boasted
a population of under
150.
served the needs of
farmers and plantation owners. Yet
people needed a
place to conduct legal
affairs, buy the few
items they did not
grow or make, and
meet with their neighbors. Appomattox
Court House filled
these needs.
The few trades—
blacksmith, cooper,
wheelwright, miller,
and sawyer—mostly
Some lawyers opened
offices around the
courthouse, and
merchants opened
Printing presses (far
right) set up in the
Clover Hill Tavern
quickly produced
passes, or paroles, required of Confederates en route to their
homes. Printers
worked in relays to
print 30,000 blank parole forms by April 11.
Maj. Gen. Fitzhugh
Lee, Army of Northern
Virginia cavalry com-
two of the county’s
dozen stores here.
The Meeks Store
doubled as post office.
Francis Meeks’s son
Lafayette served in
the Confederate army,
died of typhoid, and
was buried here (left).
The village and county
both prospered in
the 1850s. The war
changed all of this.
2 Clover Hill Tavern
3 Woodson Law Office
4 Meeks Store
5 Courthouse
6 McLean House
7 Kitchen
8 Slaves’ Quarters
Lee’s surrender did not
immediately end the
Confederate States of
America; other armies
were still in the field.
Not until the surrenders of Joseph E.
Johnston’s army in
North Carolina on
April 26, Richard
Taylor’s army in
Alabama on May 4,
and Edmund Kirby
Smith’s army in Texas
on June 2 did the
Confederacy cease to
exist. The terms set at
Appomattox Court
House by Lee and
Grant governed the
surrenders of all other
Confederate armies.
mander and nephew
of Gen. Robert E. Lee,
carried the parole
shown above.
More Information
Appomattox Court
House National
Historical Park
PO Box 218
Appomattox, VA 24522
www.nps.gov/apco
Appomattox Court
House is one of over
430 areas in the
National Park System.
To learn more, visit
www.nps.gov.
IGPO:2024—427-086/84117 Last updated 2025
Appomattox Court House
Creating a Park
The war ended, and
the soldiers returned
home, but Appomattox Court House was
changed. In many
ways, the village
declined. Neither side
rushed in to erect
monuments as they
did on many other
Civil War battlefields.
Appomattox Court
House became a
backwater, while
Appomattox Station,
just to the west,
prospered as the
result of its position
on the railroad.
In the late 1880s, Union
veterans formed the
Appomattox Land
Company. They hoped
to develop the area,
but their plans never
left the drawing
board. In 1892 the
courthouse burned
(right), and the county
seat moved to Appo
mattox, formerly
Appomattox Station.
In early 1893, a Niagara
Falls, New York, company dismantled the
McLean House with
the hope of taking it
to Washington, DC, as
a war museum. They
never moved the piles
of bricks and lumber,
which, exposed to the
elements, eventually
disappeared. The
little village was either
going up in smoke or
crumbling into dust.
events of April 1865
endured. The War Department administered
the area until its transfer to the National
Park Service in 1933.
Congress authorized
it as a national monument in 1940.
In 1930 Congress
passed a bill that provided for building a
monument at old
courthouse site. The
monument was never
built, but the idea of
commemorating the
AMERICAN CIVIL WAR MUSEUM
A few spots associated
with the events of the
surrender lie outside
the village.
The project resumed at
the end of World War II.
In 1954 the area was
redesignated Appo
mattox Court House
National Historical
Park. Today the village
looks much as it did in
April 1865.
Carolina marks the
farthest advance of its
troops that April day.
Lee’s headquarters
site is northeast of
the village. It is a twominute walk from a
small parking lot on
VA 24.
A small Confederate
cemetery, just west of
the village, holds the
graves of one Federal
and 18 Confederate
soldiers killed on April
8 and 9.
Grant’s headquarters
site is southwest of
the village. Nearby, a
monument erected by
the state of North
A hiking trail south of
the highway connects
Lee’s headquarters
site to the North
Carolina Monument.
10 Office
11 Tavern Smokehouse
12 Tavern Dining
Room
13 Tavern Bar
14 Carriage House
15 Mule Stable
16 Clover Hill Tavern
Stable
17 Robertson & Glover
Store
18 Original Jail
19 W. Rosser Tenant
House
20 W. Rosser Wheelwright Shop
21 W. Rosser Blacksmith Shop
22 W. Rosser Corn
Crib
23 W. Rosser Barn
24 Peers Stable
25 Isbell Law Office
26 Inge House
27 Peers Cabin/Slave
Quarters
28 Moffitt House
29 Union Academy
Hall
30 J. Rosser Blacksmith Shop
31 Wright Stable
Touring the Village
Begin at the visitor center, where you’ll find
exhibits, a film, seasonal talks, maps, and
restrooms. The map below depicts the historic
village much as it looked in April 1865. Existing
structures have white labels; those no longer
standing are pale gray with black numbers
(key at far right). All the sites are within easy
walking distance, but you must walk on gravel
and grass surfaces. Most buildings are over 150
years old and require steps for entry. Wheelchairs are available at the visitor center.
The National Park Service handbook covers
many aspects of Lee’s retreat and surrender
and the history of the village. Find it and other
publications at the park bookstore.
Federal laws protect all natural and cultural features in the park. Using remotely piloted aircraft
like drones is prohibited. For firearms regulations
check the park website. Firearms are prohibited
in the visitor center, McLean House, Clover Hill
Tavern, and bookstore.
McLean House
On April 9, 1865, Gen.
Robert E. Lee surrendered the Army of
Northern Virginia to
Lt. Gen. Ulysses S.
Grant in the parlor of
this house. Lee’s aide
Lt. Col. Charles Marshall chose this site.
The house, built in
1848, survived under
several owners until
1893, when speculators
dismantled it in a
failed money-making
venture. Reconstructed.
In the 1940s, using the
speculators’ plans and
specifications and
archeological evidence,
the National Park Service rebuilt the house
on its 1848 foundation.
Meeks Store
Constructed in 1852,
this building housed a
general store and post
office operated by
Francis Meeks at the
time of the surrender.
Original.
Woodson Law Office
John Woodson bought
this office in 1856 and
practiced law here
until he joined the
Confederate Army
and died of disease
in 1864. Original.
Clover Hill Tavern
Built in 1819 and
the oldest village
structure, this is
where the Federals
printed the parole
passes for Confederate
soldiers. Associated
structures include the
kitchen, quarters for
enslaved people, and
guesthouse (now a
bookstore). In 1865
the tavern included
an attached dining
wing and a small de
tached bar. Original.
Appomattox
County Courthouse
The original county
courthouse, built in
1846, burned in
1892. None of the
events of the surrender took place here.
Reconstructed in 1964.
Appomattox
County Jail
Completed by 1867,
this “new” county jail
replaced the first jail,
which burned in
December 1864.
Kelley House
Residents may have
watched Lee’s Confederates lay down their
arms on April 12, 1865,
from the porch of this
house. Original.
Mariah Wright House
This frame house, built
in the mid-1820s, is
one of the older buildings in the village. The
stone and brick chimneys are typical of this
region. Not open to
the public. Original.
Isbell House
Two brothers built this
house in 1850. One of
them, Thomas Bocock,
was a US Congressman. He later served
as speaker of the
Confederate Congress.
Not open to the
public. Original.
Peers House
George Peers, clerk of
Appomattox County
court for 40 years,
lived in this frame
house built in the early
1850s. Not open to the
public. Original.
Stacking of Arms
On the morning of
April 12, 1865, about
5,000 Federal troops
lined the RichmondLynchburg Stage Road
from just east of the
Peers House to a point
near the McLean House
to receive the surrender of the Army of
Northern Virginia.
Lee’s infantry stacked
their weapons, flags,
and other accoutrements before the
Federals in a formal
ceremony that Brig.
Gen. Joshua L. Cham
berlain dubbed “Honor
answering honor.”
Key to numbered
buildings (no longer
standing)
1 Union Academy
Dwelling House
2 Woodson Law
Office (1865)
3 Raine Tavern
(empty in 1865)
4 McLean Smokehouse
5 McLean Stable
6 Pryor Wright House
7 Meeks Storehouse
(1865)
8 Office
9 Office
NPS / CHRIS CASADY



